Monday, September 28, 2015

Leadership Council

Dear Family,

This week we had transfers. On Monday we were super busy switching all the missionaries in the city and trying to figure out the best way to organize flotas, flights, and stuff like that. The craziest part was that Monday morning were the transfers and then in the night we had leadership council. 

Monday night we talked about how to be a good leader. Leadership qualities, how to become more persuasive teachers, how to minister and not administer, etc. I love teaching. Ive never realized it until now. Its something that Im still not very good at but Im getting better. I realized that its even an attribute of Christ. We then discussed how to fulfill the vision of the mission which is help our investigators progress in their faith in Christ through Church attendance, reading the Book of Mormon, and praying daily.

Then we each went home to study and pray about the following day. 

Tuesday morning was a morning of demonstrating and learning. We divided the mission leaders (40 in all) into 2 "zones". I am in charge of 1 zone (20 zone leaders and sister leaders) and my companion the other zone (20 zone leaders and sister leaders). We teach them, they teach the missionaries and the missionaries teach the investigators. A huge challenge in our mission has been the way Zone meetings are taught so our job on this past Tuesday was to show how to give a great zone meeting so the Zone leaders and Sister leaders could go back to their zones and do the same. They weren't expecting it at all when they got here on Tuesday morning. They came in, sat down, started to study, and then we started the meeting like it was a normal zone meeting. They were a little confused but I think they caught on to what we were trying to do after a little while. The topic was Revelation through Prayer. I loved it so much. I had a blast teaching, reading Preach My gospel, the scriptures, watching videos of The District, etc. From 8:00 until about 10:00 we taught them and had a council about the chosen topic. Then we came together as the 2 zones and went over what we learned, how we will apply what we learned, what we have to improve, what to change about the agenda, etc. It was a wonderful meeting full of the inspiration and revelation. I am glad I got to be a part of it. Sister Willard attended my zone meeting and president went to the meeting of my companion because the previous night president went to my meeting when we talked about leadership qualities. 

The rest of the week we just worked and worked and worked more in our area. We found several families to teach, and they are progressing towards baptism. Daniel and Carina are a young couple who came to church even before we got to know them. They haven't been coming lately. Pray for them please!!! Also, we met the Saavedra family. They are wonderful. The only problem is that its hard to teach them. They don't understand exactly what we say.... mainly because the wife only speaks Quechua. I'm still learning Spanish!! It'll be a while before I can teach lessons in Quechua. Pray for them so they can understand at least by the Spirit! 

As I was reading the insert in the Liahona for President Packer I read this. He taught:

“Consider, please, that He has declared, ‘What manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am.’ (3 Nephi 27:27.) … “I do not hesitate to admit that I desire to teach as He taught. Though that may be far beyond my capabilities, He is, nevertheless, the ideal. ... “… It is not untoward for any of us to aspire to be like Him.”
As I have continued my time in the mission field, my desire to not only be like Christ but also teach like Him has grown. I know He was the perfect teacher and as we study His life, we can develop just a small part of what He is and was. I am grateful for Him and the things He teaches me daily. He lives!!
I love you all,
Hurrah for Israel!
Elder Gehring

No comments:

Post a Comment