Monday, August 17, 2015

A week of Miracles

Hello dear family,

My companion and I were transferred to an area that has been what you could call ''dead'' for quite some time. There haven't been baptisms in a long time and the ward was a little down as far as excitement goes. This week I have prayed more than ever, walked more than ever, talked more than ever, and been guided by my Heavenly Father more than every.

We started with the Bishop. We went by his house and shared with him our joy for being in the ward. We read him 3 Nefi 11:1 which has inspired us this week. (Because our ward is called Abundancia (bountiful) ) He opened up a lot and I feel like it helped us gain his confidence. We then asked him what he needed: where to start, who to go to, and what his desires were. He gave us a few assignments but nothing huge. We gladly accepted. He then expressed his longing to baptize. He wants so much for the ward. We shared our goal of baptizing every week and he was thrilled. Together we felt that it was possible and that together we are going to reach our goal. He then invited me to play the piano on Sunday. I was honored to do so. I felt his confidence. He wants more than anything a ward that baptizes each week. So we went to work.

I don't think I've ever been so tired. Elder Allasia and I worked like never before, but there is even more to do. The first few days of the week were hard. We hardly taught anyone. We spent hours talked to every single person in the street and setting times to pass by their homes. Friday and Saturday were full of visits. From 10 in the morning till 9 at night. The thing I realized though is that a lot of people fell through. We didn't teach like we were hoping but the miracles came Sunday. First at 8:30am when we showed up to church. We tried to pick a brother up to go to church with us but he didn't come. We were disappointed but had a lot of faith. As we approached the chapel, a family of investigators (with a fecha for the 29th of ago) walked in with a new family. A young couple with a 2 year old and a baby on the way. They stayed the 3 hours and this week we are going to commit them to the 6th of September. They loved the classes, the ward supported them, the ward mission leader now knows them and the bishop is excited for the progress. Then another family of 4 came without anyone passing by their home!! They even came on Saturday to clean the chapel! Investigators who clean the chapel!! I've never seen that!! 

Then the biggest miracle was when we did divisions with our ward mission leader and another Elder in the ward. I went with our ward mission leader and we met Nicolas a new investigator who accepted baptism and is going to come to church. Elder Allasia met a new family who now have a baptismal date for the 12 of September. The Lord worked with us this week. I think I was blind until Sunday but I know He was there. If we hadn't worked so much the rest of the week I know Sunday would have been different. I know we have a long way to go before we baptize every week and are worthy of the Lords help in every moment, but we feel beyond blessed for the Lords hand in our area this week. 

I love you all. This week I need your help!! Look for any scripture with the word ''bountiful'' that I can use to excited the ward!! for example: 3 Nefi 11:1. 2 Corin. 9:6, Proverbs 22:9, etc.

Love you all,
Hurrah for Israel!
Elder Gehring
Here's the office staff. from left to right.
Elder Jimenez (Sec of Records), Elder Galli (Health Sec), Elder Winterholler (Sec to Pres), Elder Gehring, Elder Allasia (my companion), and Elder Solis (Finance Sec)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment